Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10
Boolworm Cowboy
2014-10-29 18:49:19 UTC
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating
system blows Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.

Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida

Regards,

Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Rene Lamontagne
2014-10-29 18:58:38 UTC
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating
system blows Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Is that why about 94% of the world uses Windows?

Regards, Rene
sane
2014-10-29 19:44:14 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating
system blows Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Is that why about 94% of the world uses Windows?
Regards, Rene
OSX is a mess as far as I am concerned. Finder is a loser. With One
Drive being incorparated by default in 8.1, XBox for gaming that tied
in also and contacts, music, etc., Microsoft has an ecosystem that
works. Apple has a jumble of things that are still hokey.

Linux, depending on flavor is a great OS, with typically much better
file managers that OSX has. You don't have to worry about "bugs" as
much in either Linux or OSX, but after using all of them a great deal
I think Microsoft is ahead of the game at least as far as the package
deal is concerned. Well............Apple has some nice hardware and
the packaging their stuff comes in is really nice.
Silver Slimer
2014-10-29 22:30:07 UTC
Post by sane
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
[...]
You don't have to worry about bugs in GNU/Linux? What crack pipe have
you been smoking the stuff from? I have yet to find a single GNU/Linux
program that isn't filled with bugs.

From CD ripping software that crashes if it sees a rather normal
character GNU/Linux doesn't understand to music management software
which claims to have saved your ratings and album art to file without
actually doing so, GNU/Linux has a shitload of software which will
blatantly lie to you and feel no shame in doing so. Screen tearing in 3D
games, a computer which no longer sleeps or wakes, a machine that
refuses to shut down... GNU/Linux has all of that and MORE!
--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Recipient of overwhelmingly positive reviews among the GNU/Linux advocates:
- "Low life at its best. But thats what you are. Worth a lot less than
stinking contaminated dirt" - Peter Köhlmann
- "He's a rotten POS." - Chris Ahlstrom AKA The Pee-Pee Wiper
(http://bit.ly/1wg0lkd)
- "He's a troll, that's his stock and trade." - RonB
- "Slimer is a filthy hater, liar and fraud IMHO." - Marti Van Lin
- "We know that it was the "Slimer", the shameless liar who takes pride,
apparently, in being a worthless trolling asshole." - chrisv
Boolworm Cowboy
2014-10-29 19:50:03 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating
system blows Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Is that why about 94% of the world uses Windows?
Regards, Rene
Really? Why is that? You go to any computer retail outlet, and you cannot find a preloaded Linux computer available for sale.
So, that's why Windows rules the world; but if Apple lowered the price of their computers, Windows would be toast. They're
cheap and easily accessible; never mind, they're loaded with bugs, and your constantly dealing with viruse and malware
issues. I seldom had to addressed virus or malware issues on my Linux computer, and the operating system never needs to be
reloaded like I occasionally have to do with Windows. Then you have to purchase registry cleaning software, and other
software to keep your Windows computer running smoothly. The other problem is that proprietary software vendors refuse to
support Linux, so you're forced to own a Windows computer if you like it or not. This doesn't change the fact that Windows
8.1 sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay since I'm forced to use it to utilize certain proprietary software.

Regards,

Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Rene Lamontagne
2014-10-29 20:43:21 UTC
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
[...]
No, I do not have to reload windows at all, each version runs fine
for years, One blue screen in the lastb 3 or 4 years, No virusus or
malware, I run protection Software as everyone should.
As for cleaning the registry NEVER, And no I don't use that bogus
software to keep my machine running smoothly, You don't need that junk
if you know how to use a system properly.
LInux? I've tried about 25 distros and none yet has been satisfacory,
It's just not ready for prime time yet.
Windows 8.1 runs quite nicely on my system, It may not be perfect but
it's pretty damned good.
Apple! I gave up on them about 1995 and never looked back.

Regards, Rene
Johnny
2014-10-30 14:02:16 UTC
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:43:21 -0500
Post by Rene Lamontagne
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 13:58:38 -0500, Rene Lamontagne
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
[...]
Linux Mint 17 KDE should work fine for the average computer user. You
don't have to use the Terminal, KDE can be configured from the GUI just
like Windows.

I think what causes most problems for new Linux users is using sudo,
and su in the terminal when it's not necessary, and they change
permissions for folders, and find themselves locked out.

It took the good people in alt.os.linux.mint a few months to pound this
into my head, but since then I no longer have problems with the
operating system. If something strange does happen, I have my home
directory backed up, and can restore it easily.

Personally I wanted to learn to use the Command Line, and have gotten
pretty good at it, but it's not necessary.

For the average user that just wants to use a browser, send and receive
Email, read news groups, shop and bank online, Linux Mint should be as
good as Windows, and is more secure, and Microsoft is not constantly
invading your privacy.
Wolf K
2014-10-30 14:08:17 UTC
On 2014-10-30 10:02 AM, Johnny wrote:
[...]
Post by Johnny
For the average user that just wants to use a browser, send and receive
Email, read news groups, shop and bank online, Linux Mint should be as
good as Windows, and is more secure, and Microsoft is not constantly
invading your privacy.
+1

And it will run on older hardware, too. That includes older printers
etc, for which there are no Win8 drivers. OTOH, you may not find Linux
drivers for recent hardware.
--
Best,
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca
Bob Henson
2014-10-30 14:34:28 UTC
Post by Wolf K
[...]
Post by Johnny
For the average user that just wants to use a browser, send and receive
Email, read news groups, shop and bank online, Linux Mint should be as
good as Windows, and is more secure, and Microsoft is not constantly
invading your privacy.
+1
And it will run on older hardware, too. That includes older printers
etc, for which there are no Win8 drivers. OTOH, you may not find Linux
drivers for recent hardware.
Problems with older hardware show up too. Try running a laptop with a
Broadcom B43 chipset on Mint 9 and getting it to connect to WiFi. Try
getting it to connect to a Wifi Printer. It took me several days to work
out how. Then they changed the Linux kernel to a version which wouldn't
even install on a B43 chipset machine. That took several more days to
fix. Even the latest versions of Mint/Ubuntu have problems connecting
to a Windows network share - it involves changing configuration files
deep in the system where a novice would be totally lost. Everyday
running is fine if you have a version of Linux that is known to run on a
specific machine, you don't ever change anything, and you use
Thunderbird and Firefox (the native Linux e-mail and newsgroup programs
are unusable to a Windows user).

However, it's much better to install Windows 7, 8.1 (or shortly 10) and
have everything just connect first go. Even if you do have to rebuild
the GUI on 8 and 10 with Classic Shell before they are usable.
--
Bob Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Silver Slimer
2014-10-30 16:58:42 UTC
Post by Bob Henson
Post by Wolf K
[...]
Post by Johnny
[...]
I have just this to say. My Windows 7 laptop can connect to a printer
connected to the router very easily. Windows 8.1 tablet and desktop, no
problem. GNU/Linux? No matter what you do, it fails miserably no matter
what the settings are. This printer is four years-old.

Ken Blake, MVP
2014-10-29 23:41:23 UTC
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Is that why about 94% of the world uses Windows?
Regards, Rene
Really? Why is that?
We all have different view about many things, and that's fine; Windows
is one of our differences. I'm not trying to convince you to change
your mind about anything, but I'd like to point out a few things
(mostly for others reading this thread).
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
You go to any computer retail outlet, and you cannot find a preloaded Linux computer available for sale.
True, but since it's free to download and install Linux, it hardly
matters. It's quick, easy, and free to change from Windows to Linux if
Linux is what you want.
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
So, that's why Windows rules the world; but if Apple lowered the price of their computers, Windows would be toast. They're
cheap and easily accessible; never mind, they're loaded with bugs, and your constantly dealing with viruse and malware
issues.
I seldom had to addressed virus or malware issues on my Linux computer,
I have no Linux computer, but I've have *never* had to address a
malware issue (a virus or any other kind of malware) on any Windows
computer. And I've been running almost every version of Windows since
2.0.
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
and the operating system never needs to be
reloaded like I occasionally have to do with Windows.
If you did that, it wasn't because you *had* to. It was your choice,
and it's almost always a bad choice. I've never done it.
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Then you have to purchase registry cleaning software,
Of all the things you've said, that's the one I most strongly disagree
with. *All* registry cleaning software is nothing but snake oil, and I
always recommend against all of them strongly
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
and other
software to keep your Windows computer running smoothly.
*Other* software? What other software do you have in mind. I use *no*
third-party software to keep Windows running smoothly.
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
The other problem is that proprietary software vendors refuse to
support Linux, so you're forced to own a Windows computer if you like it or not.
I use Windows because I like it. If you don't like it, that's fine,
but don't assume that everyone has the same views you do.
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
This doesn't change the fact that Windows 8.1 sucks,
That's *your* view. It's not my view, nor is it the view of many other
people I know who use and like it. I think it's fine.
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
but Windows 10 is looking okay since I'm forced to use it to utilize certain proprietary software.
Windows 10 doesn't exist yet. Please don't form any opinions about it
from its technical preview. It may turn out to be very different from
what you think it will be.

What proprietary software are you taking about? I don't know of
anything that will run on the Windows 10 technical preview, but not on
Windows 8.
Ken Springer
2014-10-31 01:09:25 UTC
<snip>
Post by Ken Blake, MVP
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
You go to any computer retail outlet, and you cannot find a preloaded Linux computer available for sale.
True, but since it's free to download and install Linux, it hardly
matters. It's quick, easy, and free to change from Windows to Linux if
Linux is what you want.
But it does make a difference.

1. The average computer user doesn't know Linux from the polar ice cap.
And since they don't, they'd never even think about installing it. I
say "Linux", and they say "What's that?"

2. The average computer user can't even reinstall Windows (or even OS
X) much of the time, so whey would they attempt to install something
they are unfamiliar with? Even if they do know of/about Linux?

3. The average computer user isn't going do anything about changing
without seeing what the other product looks like. Note that none of us
here are the average computer user.

<snip>
--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
and it's gone!"
Silver Slimer
2014-10-31 01:21:00 UTC
Post by Ken Springer
<snip>
Post by Ken Blake, MVP
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
You go to any computer retail outlet, and you cannot find a preloaded
Linux computer available for sale.
True, but since it's free to download and install Linux, it hardly
matters. It's quick, easy, and free to change from Windows to Linux if
Linux is what you want.
But it does make a difference.
1. The average computer user doesn't know Linux from the polar ice cap.
And since they don't, they'd never even think about installing it. I
say "Linux", and they say "What's that?"
The only appropriate answer is "a mediocre product based on a collection
of messy amateur code."
Post by Ken Springer
2. The average computer user can't even reinstall Windows (or even OS
X) much of the time, so whey would they attempt to install something
they are unfamiliar with? Even if they do know of/about Linux?
The only ones who actually would are the more knowledgeable ones who
enjoy tinkering with their machine, fucking it up and eventually
reinstalling Windows.
Post by Ken Springer
3. The average computer user isn't going do anything about changing
without seeing what the other product looks like. Note that none of us
here are the average computer user.
The reality is that in the Windows 9x era, GNU/Linux had a true chance
of stealing Microsoft's thunder by offering a superior, more stable and
prettier operating system to replace the much-abhorred 9x series.
Instead, they offered something a lot less stable which also happened to
be ugly and incredibly inconsistent. Today, GNU/Linux still offers a
less stable, ugly and inconsistent product to compete with very stable
operating systems like Windows 7 & 8 which might not be everyone's cup
of tea as far as looks go but are at least consistent.

PAS
2014-10-30 13:08:26 UTC
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
[...]
If the market demanded Linux then we would see more Linux systems in the
retail chain. The demand simply is not there. Linux is still no match
for the usability of Windows or Mac for the average user.

I can echo pretty much what Rene said. I don't have any issues with
Windows 8.1, nor did I have any with Windows 7. I've not had to reload
my OS, I use Windows security apps and have never got a virus, I don't
use nor do I (or anyone) need a regisrty cleaner, and I do not have any
blue screens tro deal with. I've not had a blue screen using Windows 7
or 8.1 and rarely ever had on with XP, for that matter. I don't think
Windows 8.1 sucks at all, I quite like it and I use it on my desktop
without a touch screen.
ray carter
2014-10-29 20:56:42 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as
Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating system blows
Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.
Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida
Is that why about 94% of the world uses Windows?
Regards, Rene
94% of the world's what? Android is the most used system - smart phones,
tablets, all sorts of devices - it's a JVM running on a Linux kernel.
Rene Lamontagne
2014-10-29 21:03:29 UTC
Post by ray carter
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as
Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating system blows
Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.
Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida
Is that why about 94% of the world uses Windows?
Regards, Rene
94% of the world's what? Android is the most used system - smart phones,
tablets, all sorts of devices - it's a JVM running on a Linux kernel.
WE were talking Computers!!! NOT tractors!

Rene
ray carter
2014-10-30 15:21:28 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by ray carter
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as
Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating system
blows Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open
source.
Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida
Is that why about 94% of the world uses Windows?
Regards, Rene
94% of the world's what? Android is the most used system - smart phones,
tablets, all sorts of devices - it's a JVM running on a Linux kernel.
WE were talking Computers!!! NOT tractors!
Rene
So, what is your definition? I would say that a tablet is as much an
appliance as a washing machine. It's also as much a computer as a laptop
or desktop. Your smart phone has more computer power than you could have
had in a desktop 10 years ago.
Jose

I had a desktop with 33 MHz processor and 16 MB RAM
Silver Slimer
2014-10-30 17:00:17 UTC
Post by ray carter
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by ray carter
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
[...]
It's absolutely remarkable how we get more power out of a phone nowadays
than we could get out of a gigantic computer back then. Things have
changed so drastically and so quickly.

Boolworm Cowboy
2014-10-29 21:06:42 UTC
Post by ray carter
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as
Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating system blows
Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.
Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida
Is that why about 94% of the world uses Windows?
Regards, Rene
94% of the world's what? Android is the most used system - smart phones,
tablets, all sorts of devices - it's a JVM running on a Linux kernel.
Yep, I own two Android Tablets myself. I love my Android Tablets, and I have no problems.

Regards,

Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Rene Lamontagne
2014-10-29 21:18:11 UTC
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Post by ray carter
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as
Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating system blows
Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.
Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy Lakeland, Florida
Is that why about 94% of the world uses Windows?
Regards, Rene
94% of the world's what? Android is the most used system - smart phones,
tablets, all sorts of devices - it's a JVM running on a Linux kernel.
Yep, I own two Android Tablets myself. I love my Android Tablets, and I have no problems.
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Me also, Mine is running KitKat 4.4.2 on a 7 inch tablet, Runs great
and I am happy with android on a tablet.
But on a full blown desktop Windosws 8.1 and soon Windows 10 is my choice.

Regards, Rene
Ken Blake, MVP
2014-10-29 23:44:47 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Post by ray carter
94% of the world's what? Android is the most used system - smart phones,
tablets, all sorts of devices - it's a JVM running on a Linux kernel.
Yep, I own two Android Tablets myself. I love my Android Tablets, and I have no problems.
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Me also, Mine is running KitKat 4.4.2 on a 7 inch tablet, Runs great
and I am happy with android on a tablet.
I also use Android on a tablet. I like my tablet for use when
traveling, but it's no replacement for my desktop.
Post by Rene Lamontagne
But on a full blown desktop Windosws 8.1
Ditto!
Post by Rene Lamontagne
and soon Windows 10 is my choice.
But that's too early for me to say. It's likely that that will also be
my choice, but I'm not willing to say that yet.
Wolf K
2014-10-30 02:45:23 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as
Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating
system blows Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Is that why about 94% of the world uses Windows?
Regards, Rene
On my blog all-time (last 6 years) visitor OSs are Windows 79%, Linux
10%, OS-X 6%, iPad 1%, all others < 1% each.

Browsers:
Firefox 38%, Internet Explorer 32%, Chrome 14%, Opera 7%, Safari 5%, All
others < 1% each
--
Best,
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca
Silver Slimer
2014-10-29 22:27:42 UTC
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating
system blows Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.
ROFL! Not only is OS X slow and bloated in comparison to Windows 8 but
GNU/Linux is generally a joke. You'll find dozens of programs in each
category to do any imaginable task but none of them are capable of doing
it properly or completely. Getting a computer to sleep & wake is a
feature they STILL haven't managed to get working properly on all
computers and it's fantastic how you can upgrade a CLEAN installation of
Ubuntu from 14.04 to say 14.10 and have the upgrade suddenly disregard
all of your settings for no good reason. I love how mine, a few days
ago, no longer showed the splash screen at boot-up and made Firefox load
3 times slower after the upgrade.

Yeah, Microsoft is running scared of GNU/Linux.

OS X only sells because people who are too stupid and/or lazy to learn
how to use their computer ends up falling into the trap set by Apple
advocates who promise them that OS X is easier to use and "better"
without defining "better." They fall in love rather quickly but very
also realize just how much of a walled garden the Apple product is.
Suddenly, all of the variety of software they had no longer exists and
customization is fairly non-existent. Apple essentially allows you to
have whatever computer you want so long as it's exactly the one they're
selling.

Ken Springer
2014-10-31 01:45:21 UTC
Post by Silver Slimer
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
[...]
You fail to realize and/or acknowledge that all people are not equally
capable of understanding computers and operating system, and how they work.

I've a friend who continuously struggled with Windows and never did
truly understand what she was doing when she used it. When her 3 month
old Vista laptop was stolen, I simply told her to fork out the money for
a Mac. She figured out things on that Mac faster than I did! LOL

"Better" is 100% subjective. Basically, "better" is what works best for
the owner/user, not according to someone else who feels/believes
differently.
Post by Silver Slimer
They fall in love rather quickly but very
also realize just how much of a walled garden the Apple product is.
Suddenly, all of the variety of software they had no longer exists and
customization is fairly non-existent. Apple essentially allows you to
have whatever computer you want so long as it's exactly the one they're
selling.
The Apple users I see want something different from what Windows
generally offers. It's only according to some that it's a bad thing to
want and appreciate something different.

I take what I like from both worlds. I guess some people can't accept
that either.
--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
and it's gone!"
Silver Slimer
2014-10-31 02:02:48 UTC
Post by Ken Springer
Post by Silver Slimer
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
[...]
I don't. People obviously don't know and don't WANT to know how their
computer works. For those people, Apples are the best product available.
However, I would rather know not only how my computer works but also how
my car and television works so that I can fix it myself if ever it
breaks. Knowledge is not a bad thing... except for Apple users.
Post by Ken Springer
I've a friend who continuously struggled with Windows and never did
truly understand what she was doing when she used it. When her 3 month
old Vista laptop was stolen, I simply told her to fork out the money for
a Mac. She figured out things on that Mac faster than I did! LOL
"Better" is 100% subjective. Basically, "better" is what works best for
the owner/user, not according to someone else who feels/believes
differently.
Agreed. If you're focused on producing and don't want to be distracted
by figuring out the operation of the computer, a Mac makes sense.
Admittedly.
Post by Ken Springer
Post by Silver Slimer
They fall in love rather quickly but very
also realize just how much of a walled garden the Apple product is.
Suddenly, all of the variety of software they had no longer exists and
customization is fairly non-existent. Apple essentially allows you to
have whatever computer you want so long as it's exactly the one they're
selling.
The Apple users I see want something different from what Windows
generally offers. It's only according to some that it's a bad thing to
want and appreciate something different.
I take what I like from both worlds. I guess some people can't accept
that either.
Oh, I accept it. I appreciate the fact that Apple is constantly pushing
the envelope and forcing PC manufacturers to follow suit. After all, I
get better technology at a lower price and at a higher quality as a
result of that. However, I have no reason to claim anything that isn't
entirely true: Apple users simply aren't technically savvy.

Ken Springer
2014-10-31 02:10:57 UTC
Post by Silver Slimer
Post by Ken Springer
Post by Silver Slimer
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
[...]
And not wanting know also applies to Windows users. And some Apple uses
do want to know how they work.
Post by Ken Springer
Post by Silver Slimer
[...]
Once again, depends on the Apple users. I find most Windows users
aren't technically savvy either.

Neither situation makes one OS better than another.
--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
and it's gone!"
Gene E. Bloch
2014-10-31 20:38:18 UTC
Post by Ken Springer
I take what I like from both worlds. I guess some people can't accept
that either.
That's opportunistic! Dreadful. How could you?

Of course, what I really think is that it's very sensible. Way better
than getting hung up on religious issues.
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Ken Springer
2014-11-01 15:04:20 UTC
Post by Gene E. Bloch
Post by Ken Springer
I take what I like from both worlds. I guess some people can't accept
that either.
That's opportunistic! Dreadful. How could you?
Pretty easily, actually! LOL
Post by Gene E. Bloch
Of course, what I really think is that it's very sensible. Way better
than getting hung up on religious issues.
How true. I've always tended to get the tools that did the job best,
not buy just a particular brand. In this case, software.

Back when I was an active aircraft mechanic, I'd buy the quality tools
that did the job, not by name. I own Snap-On, Mac/Matco (there was a
company shakeup of some kind that split things), and Cornwell (not too
many have heard of them), but no Craftsman.

For those that have been around awhile, you know that years ago,
Craftsman tools took a dive in quality. Warranty remained the same,
quality didn't. We had a new kid fresh out of aircraft mechanics school
that gave everyone grief for spending the $$ of the brands I just
mentioned. Until he went to use his Craftsman wrenches to remove the
cylinders from an engine, and the Craftsman tools were too bulky to fit
in the tight spaces available. He quit buying Craftsman.
--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
and it's gone!"
Gene E. Bloch
2014-11-01 21:47:44 UTC
Post by Ken Springer
Post by Gene E. Bloch
[...]
I'm not a professional mechanic, just someone who does things around the
house, so for me, inexpensive tools are usually adequate, but I still
get bitten on occasion.

My current favorite is the reversible ratchet handle that locks
counterclockwise but not clockwise. I've taken it apart and fixed it,
but it ended up being a temporary fix. Its accompanying sockets are
satisfactory, however, and it's in a nice compact case. Useless but
compact :-)
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Big Al
2014-10-29 23:28:49 UTC
Post by Boolworm Cowboy
Windows 8 and 8.1 Sucks, but Windows 10 is looking okay so far as Microsoft is concerned. . Unfortunately, Apple's operating
system blows Microsoft's out of the water, as does Linux and true open source.
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
Regards,
Bookworm Cowboy
Lakeland, Florida
I prefer 8.1 to 10 right now.
Of course I've got a 3rd party menu in 8.1 and not 10, but 10 was
supposed to solve that issue right??? IMHO, Wrong! I can't get both
start menu and start screen without jumping through config changes and
logout.

I like the desktop and startmenu and now and then want the start screen.
Sure, I can go to the apps list in the start menu and pick an app
that will run, but just saying... It's not 100% there for the few
people like me. Even though I could live with 10 as is.